I. COLLECTION USAGE RULES
- Loan of materials: There is a checkout limit of 30 total items per library card. Loanable materials have a maximum of 3 renewals. The loan period for all materials is 3 weeks.
Borrowed items will be renewed automatically three days before the due date, with some exceptions:
- Another user has requested it
- The item reached its maximum number of renewals
- The user’s account is blocked due to fines or fees of $25.00 or more
- The item is an electronic resource, such as an ebook or eaudiobook
Users who have opted to receive email notices will receive a courtesy message three days before the item’s due date. This notice will indicate which items were renewed and which items could not be renewed.
- Holds: Any circulating library materials may be placed on hold. When the item requested is available, the patron is notified that the material will be held for 7 days. Patrons may place up to 15 holds per account.
- Suspension or revocation of borrowing privileges: The Library Director may suspend or revoke borrowing privileges when fines are not paid, library material is not returned, or library policies are not followed.
- Equipment malfunctions: The library is not responsible if a patron’s equipment malfunctions when playing media borrowed from the library.
- Library Staff: Library staff will check out all materials for personal use through circulation channels in accordance with the policies established for all library patrons.
II. LIBRARY CARD GUIDELINES
Manassas Park City Library respects its patrons’ privacy by keeping gathered information confidential.
- Photo identification and proof of current physical/employment address (such as a utility bill, paystub or other piece of USPS delivered mail) are required.
- Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Driver’s license
- Federal, state or local government ID card
- School ID card
- U.S. Military card
- Permanent Resident Card / Alien Registration Receipt Card / Consulate ID
- Patrons must present a current ID to obtain a library card and accounts must be in good standing (i.e. not delinquent) before a card is renewed. Library Cards must be renewed every 3 years.
- Cards for Children:
- There is no minimum age for obtaining a library card.
- Parent or legal guardian must present his/her photo identification and proof of current address for cards issued to children under the age of 18.
- Parents or legal guardians are responsible for items checked out by their minor children.
III. FINES AND FEES
All cardholders are responsible for materials borrowed on their card. No overdue fines are charged. The Library may impose and collect lost item fees for the infringement of the established rules and regulations and may suspend or revoke the borrowing of any book or other material by a cardholder who has failed or refused to pay any fee or to return any book or other material by the due date set by the Library.
Email reminders, for materials due, are a courtesy of the library. Patrons are obligated to return their materials on time, even in the event reminder notifications are not received. If overdue items have not been returned within seven days of the due date, the patron will receive an email reminder notice. A second courtesy reminder notice will be sent 14 days after the due date. The patron’s account will be billed for the overdue material 30 days after the due date and a billing notice will be sent to the patron.
- A library card becomes delinquent when the charges on his/her account reach $25.00. Borrowing privileges are suspended until the total charges owed are less than $25.00.
- Staff have the option of waiving or reducing a charge if they feel extenuating circumstances so warrant.
- All library debts are discharged when listed in a patron’s bankruptcy.
- A police report (filed within 60 days of items being due) is necessary for the Library to waive related fees and replacement costs on items stolen from the patron or checked out on a lost/stolen library card. Processing fees are non-refundable.