Manassas Park City Library strives to provide a welcoming environment for all Library customers. The following rules of conduct are meant to ensure that the Library is a safe and enjoyable place. Library staff shall have the right to contact the proper authorities and ask individuals to leave the Library when individuals are in violation of these rules. Violation of Library policies or any unlawful behavior may result in the loss of Library privileges.
The following are prohibited in Library facilities and on all Library properties, grounds, and program spaces:
- Damage, destruction, or theft of Library or personal property.
- Abusive, threatening, or intimidating language.
- Conduct that disturbs or endangers Library customers, staff, or volunteers.
- Conduct that hinders others from using Library space, equipment, or materials.
- Interference with an employee’s performance of his/her duties. Such behavior includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, intimidation, sexual harassment, or harassment on account of race, religion, ethnic background, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Selling or solicitation, with the exception of certain Library-sponsored events.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes, or use of tobacco in any form.
- Open containers of alcoholic beverages.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
- Consuming food or drink outside of designated areas.
- Leaving bags or personal items unattended.
- Any use of computers or Internet access that interferes with the activities of the Library or its network, or is in violation of federal, state, or local laws, including Virginia Code §18.2-374.1:1 (child pornography), Virginia Code §18.2-372-§18.2-374 (obscene items), Virginia Code §18.2-377 (obscene placards, posters, etc.), and Virginia Code §18.2-391 (materials deemed harmful to juveniles) is prohibited.
The following must be observed at all times:
- Appropriate attire, including but not limited to shoes and a shirt, must be worn at all times.
- Modes of transport (e.g., bicycles, scooters, roller-blades, etc.) must be left outside. The Library is not responsible for the loss of such items.
In addition, please be aware:
- The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost, stolen, or damaged on Library premises.
- With the exception of service animals, animals are not permitted inside Library facilities.
- Library staff reserves the right to contact the appropriate authorities when children are left unattended, do not observe the Rules of Conduct, or are in distress (see Safe Children policy below).
- Library staff may ask any customer to leave when he/she is in violation of the Rules of Conduct. Library staff may contact the appropriate authorities if a customer refuses to leave when asked.
Exceptions to these Rules of Conduct may be granted at the discretion of the Library Director or designee.